John Davies
American, born Scotland, 1901 - 1965“Old” Flint Public Library, n.d.
Not on view
Etching on paper
Dimensions6 × 9 in. (15.2 × 22.9 cm)
Image: 4 15/16 × 6 1/2 in. (12.5 × 16.5 cm)
Gift of Madeline Anthony, 2000.110
Flint Public Library has had three locations and this etching depicts the second location on the corner of East Kearsley Street and Clifford Street. In 1902, the city was selected to be a recipient of a Carnegie Library, a library built with money donated by businessman and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. Over 2,500 Carnegie libraries were built between 1883 and 1929, including some belonging to public and university library systems. The “old” Flint Public Library stood for over fifty years until it was demolished in 1958, shortly after the new Flint Public Library was built in its current location in the Flint Cultural Center campus.
Born in Scotland, John Davies moved to Michigan in 1923, where he studied and taught art for many years. Davies also taught at the Left Bank Gallery in Flint, was a charter member of the Flint Artist Market Group, and briefly held the position of President of the Michigan Association
of Printmakers.






